Do Coturnix Quail Falls Under Gamebird Licenses?

Wolf-Kim

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
I know in some states they don't. Does anyone know whether NC requires a gamebird license for Coturnix? If you don't know about NC, does your state require one for Coturnix?

-Kim

I dont know about NC but it shouldnt i wouldnt think as they're not from the US. Atleast that's why they don't require a permit here. Bobwhite, Phesants and many others however I need a permit to raise, which is why I don't raise them.

Well actually im wording that wrong, I can raise Bobwhites without a permit, I just can't sell trade barder or give away (Or release) them without a permit.

My Coturnix and Button Quails are omited from needing a permit because "they do not originate from US" Which I find funny since you need a permit for Phesants yet they dont originate frmo the US lol!

you can contact your game commisson about it
smile.png

Quote:
I emailed them several days ago, but have yet to receive a response.

-Kim

Kim,
I was told by NCWRC that (ALL) quail classify as gamebirds. But heck It took memonths to find a game warden who could even tell me if I needed a permit for bobwhites. Silly Silly regualtion. IN my opinion it is all a money racket here in NC.
duc.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
About the same here in Ohio. They say if they are native to Ohio you need a permit. Then they say you need one for ringnecks pheasants???? Not the other pheasants.

Quote:
About the same here in Ohio. They say if they are native to Ohio you need a permit. Then they say you need one for ringnecks pheasants???? Not the other pheasants.

I wonder then what the regs are for exotic type pheasents here in PA...that has me curious...dont know if i'd want to try my hand at exotic pheasants but they sure are pretty
smile.png

Quote:
I emailed them several days ago, but have yet to receive a response.

-Kim

yea best bet is to call, my GC gets back to me quickly in emails but still normallytells me to call when it reguards permits lol.
smile.png

Quote:
That does sound very silly. I can understand if they are native, or even a wild variety, but I don't see my fat lazy white giants becoming the next invasive species.. LOL
wink.png

-Kim

Back
Top Bottom