1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

DO count your chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by elmo, Nov 3, 2009.

1. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Had a close call today. This morning at around 6:30 I went out and because of the nice weather we've been having, moved my small flock of five bantams from their winter coop/run into the chicken tractor that I move around our yard. This was a little out of the ordinary routine for them because since it's been cold I've been letting them spend their days in their winter quarters, but four out of five of the birds still went into the tractor with very little trouble. Martha, however, was different (Martha's always different!). My tractor is an old trampoline frame covered with hardware cloth, and instead of going in the door like the other chickens, Martha ran around the outside perimeter. I had to chase her around the whole frame to get her to go in the door. So I closed and latched the door and went inside about my business.

Around 1:30, I decided I'd go out back for a little "chicken therapy." I walked out towards where our coops are, and Billina (our favorite chicken and the sweetest girl) came walking up to meet me ...L O O S E!

I think what happened is that she slipped back out of the open door in the tractor while I was chasing Martha to get HER inside. That's the only thing I can think of. I checked the tractor and I can see no place a chicken could squeeze herself out.

When I think of how we've had stray cats lurking around our neighborhood, not to mention the possibility of hawks, and how poor Billina was out there in the yard all those hours by herself...I'm so grateful nothing happened to her.

Moral of my story? I'm counting my chickens now before I latch the door.

2. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    I count mine every night and I STILL wake up at 3:00 sometimes and say "wait... was there 7? or 6?" [​IMG]

3. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

I always count them when I lock them up for the night. Just last week I had one little Lakenvelder missing and found her outside in the rain, it was 35 degrees out. Silly girl!

4. SilkieBaby

SilkieBaby Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    Bakersville, NC
    I count mine every single night before I go to bed. It becomes one of those things that if you don't do it you don't sleep!!

5. that_crazy_lady

that_crazy_lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Rose, OK
    Quote:same here. even if I feed them at 9 and don't go to bed till 1am, I go out in my pj's just to check

good post, now we all know we're not crazy [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Oh yes, I count mine everytime I go past the coop and every time I shut them in for the night, and I *still* once or twice a year miss noticing an absentee til later [​IMG] Thus far it's only been things like a chicken left in the (really fairly predatorproof) run overnight, or someone gone over the run fence for an hour or two (back before I had roofs on everything), that sort of thing, but I really do need to learn to count better. Gotta grow some more fingers!

Pat

7. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    Oh yes! I have 26 and I still count them every day!

8. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I always count my chickens. It's really funny when DH helps me out and closes up the coop. He always says that he's pretty sure that everybody is in and that he counted (fill in arbitrary number here) souls in the coop. The number is always off. He either misses hens hiding in the nest boxes or counts somebody twice. Then I worry and go count them myself. I have a couple of birds and a duck that will stay out partying after dark every night if I let them.

9. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I count all 30 of mine every night. DH thinks I am nuts, but I've had a few that decide to sleep in the run for some reason and I have to go collect them. [​IMG] The fun part is when I count 29 and freak out looking for the missing chicken, only to remember that one is in the house (usually recovering from some roo-inflicted injury). [​IMG]

10. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    every night, 10 pm chicken check... is everyone in the coop- count twice, is everyone on a roost-move any trouble making chicks from the nesting boxes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by