Do Delawares bred with Delawares produce Delawares?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Lady TS, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Lady TS

Lady TS Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    NW OH
    We are currently looking into heritage breeds and want to get a dual-purpose breed good for both eggs and meat production.

We are planning on doing a meat production a la Joel Salatin with the chicken tractors, and to have little pastures to rotate our egg chickens on.

We want a breed that we can reliably raise year to year and hopefully not have to buy chicks again and again(though I think it's fun to get different breeds!).

We are considering Delawares.
    I realize that the Delawares are a cross between Barred Plymouth Rock Roos and New Hampshire Hens...

If you breed a Delaware hen with a Delaware roo, do you get consistent Delaware chicks? Do they breed true?

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:Thats how Delawares were started, by crossing Barred Rocks and New Hampshires, but that was AGES ago. They are now considered a breed and part of the description of a "breed" is to produce true offspring that look like the parents.

To answer your question, yes.

3. Lady TS

Lady TS Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    NW OH
    Ok, that's kinda what we were thinking, but wanted to make sure so we didn't get stuck with a breed we couldn't reliably raise ourselves.

Thanks!

4. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    They sure do. I've been breeding them for several years now and can say without doubt they breed true.

5. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Yes and no. Yes if the birds you are breeding do not carry recessive white. No,if the birds carry recessive white; if no then the delaware will sport a white bird every now and then.

Tim

6. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    You really need to read this , it is VERY informative.

7. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:Tim, Like Tracy, I've been breeding Delawares for several years now, and I have neither had nor seen an all-white Delaware sport. I have also never heard anyone mention this until now. Are you talking about hatchery birds? Those might be a bit unpredictable because of the outcrossing, but I know of no breeder birds that carry recessive white. They are all plain old silver columbian.

8. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Bill,

In chicken genetics, you never know what will show up. If you have a closed population of birds, then the recessive white gene may not be in your population. I have had recessive white show up in a bird that a person would think did not contain the gene.

Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by