Do different breeds of ducks make different sounds? Boys or girls?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mattsculpt, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Mattsculpt

Mattsculpt Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2011
    Proctor, Arkansas
    I have three, seven week old ducks I hatched from eggs. These are my first ducks.
    The are either Runners, Khaki Campbells or a cross of the two. I've tried to sex them by quack but they don't sound like either of the examples on the Majestic waterfowl sight. They are louder then the drake but quieter then the duck.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The two brown ones make a wak! wak! sound and the grey one says wonk! wonk! None of them has a sign of a curly tail feather. The browns look like Campbells to me and the grey has a more upright stance of a runner. But they all stand up tall when they move. Anyone know what they are? Boys or girls? Runners, Campbells or a cross?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    The two KC-looking ones may well be drakes, not sure about the runnerish duck. Nice looking group. I think you may have read that it is best to have at least two females per male - just something to keep in mind.

3. Mattsculpt

Oct 29, 2011
    Proctor, Arkansas
    Why do you think they are boys? Is it their head coloring? When will I know for sure?
    Thank you, I do know about the sex ratio. Extra drakes will have to go to freezer camp.
    I'm hoping that I have at least one female. I had a bad hatch because I lost power a few times from thunderstorms and the incubator had trouble holding temp. Out of twelve eggs these were the only three that made it to hatch. If I only have one duck and two drakes then I'll get another duck. If they are all drakes.. I'll wait till next year and just buy some sexed duklings.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yes, the head coloring makes me lean toward them being drakes. And in my experience, different breeds - sometimes different flocks - have different "quacks."

My runners don't "quack" unless they are startled. Generally, they say ah AH ah ah. The buffs moan. Wish I had some good recordings for you. It's on my long list of cool things to do.

Bean speaks in a stage whisper.

5. Mattsculpt

Oct 29, 2011
    Proctor, Arkansas
    Looking at more pictures of KC's I see the drake's heads are darker like mine. I'll wait a bit longer then and see if we get drake feathers before culling any of them though.
    They are all quite talkative, that's why I was hoping for at least two hens.
    Thanks for your help.
    As for weird bird sounds,my bantam Easter egger rooster honks like a goose. He's done it since he was a chick. Now that he is an adult his crow is er-er, er-er OOOONK! The hens are not impressed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by