do different hens lay different eggs???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wexford Chuck, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Wexford Chuck

Wexford Chuck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2009
    Wexford, Ireland
    i have 6 rsl pullets and i think only 1 is laying. yesterday i got my first eggs, one probably from the day before.
    [​IMG] the one on the right is shop brought medium. today i got another egg without the specles. would this be from the same bird or does this mean i have another bird that has started to lay??

2. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    It could be from the same bird. Hens eggs will not match exactly. But if you have the smae hens its hard to tell if it is from the same bird or a different bird.

3. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    shell colours and sizes vary between breeds..

I guess they can vary between individuals, after all feathers/personality/body shape etc vary between individuals, but I'm not sure if there would be enough variation to tell who laid which egg with all your girls being the same breed.

4. Wexford Chuck

Aug 12, 2009
    Wexford, Ireland
    thanks for that, i suppose i will just have to wait and see if i get a speckled one today. if i do i know i have 2 girls laying. this is almost as eggciting as waiting for the first egg [​IMG]

5. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I'm curious, do all the eggs bought in shops there have to have that little stamp on them?

6. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Do hens only lay one egg per day?

7. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I have seven hens and I can tell who laid which egg except my 3 RIR they all look the same! My BO is a lighter color brown than theirs and is fatter! My buff cochins egg is even lighter and smaller and my Lakenvelders lay white eggs!

8. Wexford Chuck

Aug 12, 2009
    Wexford, Ireland
    Quote:yes shop brought eggs have to be quality assured stamped. the stamps tells you where the egg is from flock I.D code whether caged, free range, farmed and best before date.
    its been law for a few years now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by