Do/don't Double Stack Incubator????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by newchickens2009, Jan 2, 2010.

1. newchickens2009

newchickens2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    I AM STILL NEW TO INCUBATING AND LOOKING FOR SOME EXPERT ADVICE PLEASE? I WAS JUST IN FL AND BOUGHT SOME HATCHING EGGS FOR ME AND MY SON TO HATCH. TO MY SUPRISE WE GOT SOME FOR CHRISTMAS AND NOW I HAVE 72 EGGS AND AN INCUBATOR (HOVA BATOR STILL AIR) WITH AN AUTO TURNER THAT ONLY HOLDS 42. CAN I DOUBLE STACK THE EGGS ON TOP OF EACHOTHER OR SHOULD I ONLY PUT IN 42 OF THEM? I DON'T WANT TO DOUBLE STACK IF IT WILL RUIN THE HATCH, BUT ALSO DON'T WANT NOT TO IF IT WILL BE OK AND I CAN GET ALOT MORE BABY CHICKS. ANT HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!! THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  2. Apprentice_egger

Apprentice_egger Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2009
    Morrisville, Vermont
    Can you get ahold of a second incubator? I wouldn't stack eggs.

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    No stacking. I would candle at 5 days, cull any that show no signs of progress and get as many of the others as I could into the bator. that is only IF you can't find, borrow, or steal(just kidding) another bator from someone!

4. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    I think that if you are willing to hand turn them you could most likely fit more than 42 in there by leaving out the turner and lying them on their sides. Mark them with an X and an O to keep track of turning and turn them an odd number of times (at least 3) daily.

5. geosheets

geosheets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Not sure that you could stack them without some damages plus you won't have room to hatch them if you have more than the capacity of the bator. Do you already have some of them incubating? If so, how long have they been in? Any idea how old either batch of eggs is?

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I stacked a few on top of the eggs in the egg turner this last hatch, since they didn't turn like the others, I turned them 3 times a day. Almost all of them hatched but I probably wouldn't do it again.

7. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    you can fit more in if you don't use the turner, but then you would have to turn by hand.

8. newchickens2009

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    Not Incubating Yet, Will Put Eggs In Tomorrow. I Don't Have Access To Another Bator And Can't Turn By Hand Since I Capt A Tug Boat And Sometimes There Is A Day Or Two That No One Is At Home.

9. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I second this idea! Fill it up then candle and take out what isn't growing and add the rest....that's what I would do.

10. newchickens2009

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    Quote:I second this idea! Fill it up then candle and take out what isn't growing and add the rest....that's what I would do.

THIS DOES SOUND LIKE A GOOD IDEA JUST WISH I KNEW WHICH ONES WERE THE FRESHES SINCE THEY WERE COLLECTED FROM THE 20TH TO THE 28TH OF DECEMBER.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by