Do drake feathers grow back?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by FluffTheDuck, Oct 17, 2019.

1. FluffTheDuck

FluffTheDuck Duck love is recognizable in any language

Nov 26, 2018
    AL
    My Coop
    My male Pekin drake is 1 year 7 months. At least around that age. He "grew out" of his drake feather when he was 1 yr. Now a couple days ago he decides to grow it back.

Also another one of my Drake's has 6 drake feathers... He literally keeps getting more. He started with one, two days later three, then four, five and six.

Is this normal?
    Thanks,
    Fluffy

2. FluffTheDuck

FluffTheDuck Duck love is recognizable in any language

Nov 26, 2018
    AL
    My Coop
  3. Texag87

Texag87 Crowing

Sep 22, 2018
    Aggieland
    Our drake lost his feather months ago. According to @Magnolia Ducks , that has not effected his fertility rate. She says all seven in the bator are fertile.

4. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw Wrangling Ducks

Jul 8, 2018
    (Southern USA)
    Yes, they’ll grow back. Some drakes have multiple curls.. My Campbell drake has 3, and my call has 2... Totally normal.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Ephesians 6:13

My 3 yr old Runner grows one then loses it out in the property then later grows one again and loses it again so right now he hasn’t one. My young 4 month old Runner drake has 2 and so far has managed to keep his. LOL. Aren’t they funny.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  6. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    One of my drakes lost his a few months ago and it hasn't grown back yet, I'm hoping it will. My other 2 drakes and nice ones! My old drake Sheldon never had one.

7. quackiemama

quackiemama Free Ranging

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    Same here. Leonard lost his drake feather in the spring when he went through a molt. Still hasn't come back and it has not affected him at all.

8. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

All Drakes will go into eclipse and lose the Drake tail curl and lose Drake plumage colours. They are not hormonal during eclipse. With Pekin you don't notice unless you pay attention to behaviour and molt patterns.

FluffTheDuck and WVduckchick like this.
  9. Magnolia Ducks

Magnolia Ducks Crowing

Jan 24, 2018
    Magnolia, TX
    Yep eclipse doesn't seem to effect fertility. Bandits eggs in the spring always had at least two unfertilized. fall eggs are all fertile. I need to join a hatch along.

10. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    In addition to the full molt when they go into eclipse, they may also go through a partial molt, but not full eclipse, and also lose the drake feathers.

FluffTheDuck and chickens really like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: