Do Drakes attack the male ducklings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bantymum, Aug 23, 2007.

1. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Im a bit anxious.
    I have eggs due in 2 weeks.
    A lovely lady told me that I should be careful with my drake when the ducklings hatch.
    The ducks are bantam mallards, beautiful whites with golden beaks and feet.
    Has anyone had a drake who attacked/killed the male ducklings?
    is this a common thing, as in bunnies.
    If so I will build a run around the nest to prevent him getting to them!
    Helen

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Drakes are prone to go after ducklings and kill them. I would absolutely separate them at first.
    Of course you might have that rare good dad duck and if you supervise them and nothing happens you can make the decision to allow him in with them.

3. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Separate them so that the ducklings can't get through any little holes. One of my brave ducklings did just that and his father bopped him on the side of his head, before I could separate them. The poor little fellow walked around with a tilted head for months, but eventually grew out of it.

4. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    Our daddy duck was awesome with the babies they hatched. He follows them around and makes sure the chickens don't get near them. Funny since they are 5 times bigger than the chickens!!

5. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    I was wondering something simmilar. Will A Call duck drake rape a heavy breed chicken like a large breed drake would, or are the chickens too big for him. Also what about bamtam chickens since they are smaller? [​IMG]

6. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Since we are on the duck subject... when do they start laying and how often? I have 5 (2 drakes, 3 females) that are 15 weeks. I've been so busy with chickens... I forgot about the poor duckies... also where might they lay? Sorry for stealing thread... I just have no clue!
    Tes

7. bantymum

Dont worry, i dont mind the hijack, its just that you will probably get more replies on a new thread about the subjects!!
    My ducks were purchased at same young age and it took 6 months for them to mate!
    it is nearly spring here and I have eggs everywhere, duck left her first nest and rebuilt it in new safer place, so i made my first duck egg cake!
    the best chokky cake i ever made, and i am a choc cake expert in my own eyes!!!
    also have lots of banty eggs waiting for their mums to sit on them, i cant use those for my omelettes in case they sit!!!
    thankyou all for your advice, I will fence him off and also contact the seller of my ducks and ask them if their drake got antsy!
    bantymum

8. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    I didn't seperate mine this year and had 17 babies. The drakes were wonderful with the babies. I did have to keep a close eye on the geese though. I did seperate them(geese)until the ducklings were older.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  9. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Yes, duck eggs are nice and rich. Great for desserts of all kinds. [​IMG]

WindyOaksYokes -- that's a tonge twister -- my ducks were about 20 weeks (5 months) old before they started to lay. It's always just about the time you start to wonder if they will lay at all that they finally get around to it. [​IMG]

10. bantymum

Thankyou, I spoke to the lady who sold me the breeding pair and she told me that their dad just stayed away from them and hung around in the background, like a lot of human dads do at nappytime!!!!
    I will build the run today just in case.
    Im so excited!!ive got their little pond ready with ramps in and out and a little dam with gentle slopes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by