1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do drakes 'call' the ducks to the nest?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by shelleyd2008, Feb 3, 2009.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I know my roos will call the hens to a nest "oh look honey! I found the perfect spot for your eggs!'

I was walking back from taking my son to meet the bus, and saw one of my rouen drakes inside the ducks' 'nest'. So I was wondering if the drakes call to the ducks when they've found a nest?

2. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    It wouldn't surprise me. My gals seem to listen to whatever the drake says and he bosses them around quite a bit.
    I had a runner who hatched her own babies (she nested far back under one of the coops out of my reach) but by day 2 none of the babies were anywhere to be found... I suspected the drake killed them and the chickens disposed of the bodies. [​IMG]

3. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    None of the experts know about this?

4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I have a drake that likes to poke around in the nest. But I honestly think he is just wondering what's so great about going in there and sitting for a while every morning.

Drakes are usually not too interested in what the ducks do except for one thing.

I have caught him sitting on eggs, though. But that could just be him.

5. Animal15

Animal15 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    I dont think so.
    -----------------------
    wwwjfarm.homestead.com

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I was just wondering, cause one of my rouen drakes seems to be standing in the 'nest' quacking just about everytime I go out there. It really seemed like that's what he was doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by