Do drakes prefer to mate with their own breed?

Mar 26, 2020
Southern Vermont
Obviously a lot depends on the duck, but will a drake, given the choice, favor his own breed over others? We’ve got quite a mixed flock, and our largest Pekin hen has laid claim to our Pekin drake, I wonder if he will favor the Pekin hens in terms of mating.. I rather hope so, however we have 7 hens so I hope no one gets too worn out.

i saw on your other thread you have pekins and rouens, do the pekin drakes get along well with the rouen hens? i’m hoping mine do 🤞

Obviously a lot depends on the duck, but will a drake, given the choice, favor his own breed over others? We’ve got quite a mixed flock, and our largest Pekin hen has laid claim to our Pekin drake, I wonder if he will favor the Pekin hens in terms of mating.. I rather hope so, however we have 7 hens so I hope no one gets too worn out.

No, besides size, drakes are not going to care if the duck looks different. When I talk size, I'm not referring to a Rouen and a Pekin, more like a Pekin and call per se. Not saying a Pekin won't try to mate with a Call, but they'll first try a duck their size.

No, besides size, drakes are not going to care if the duck looks different. When I talk size, I'm not referring to a Rouen and a Pekin, more like a Pekin and call per se. Not saying a Pekin won't try to mate with a Call, but they'll first try a duck their size.

Interesting, I seem to have gravitated to short girls myself... seems Winston and I may differ in taste 🤔
Would you say that in my mixed flock including runners that apart from more appealing choices, that the solution will be in the dilution?

When the time is right size wont be an issue, Winston will be like a Fat Kid in a candy store and want to sample everything 2 or 3 times first. :lau

Back
Top Bottom