Do D'uccle roosters have a dominant demeanor?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Poultrylord, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Poultrylord

Poultrylord Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    Hollis Center, Maine
    Please help! I know D'anvers do, but I still wonder!

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    This might come funny to some, but I would have to look up both(don't have time right now) of your last 2 words in the title to understand your question. I raise Chickens---did not go for a higher education!! LOL

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  3. Poultrylord

Oct 19, 2016
    Hollis Center, Maine
    Please, somebody answer my question!

4. Zip

Zip Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Depends, what traits would you consider dominate in a rooster? One that is aggressive towards people, or just a good protector? Or one that keeps all the hens in line?

Regardless, I imagine it would depend on the individual bird's personality. I've had roosters from "friendly breeds" who turned out to be some of our meanest roosters, and vice versa. We had a Silkie who would attack people when they were on the swing, and a Columbian Rock x Red who would run down from the barnyard to harass us as soon as he heard the front door open. We also had a Plymouth Rock, who are known for being mean, and he was quite docile, so you can see, demeanor doesn't come down to just breed.

5. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

I haven't had many, 3 to be exact, but from what I've gathered, d'Uccle roos are pretty rough. Two attacked me while treating their bantam girls well, whereas the non-human aggressive 1-year-old I kept has developed a bad habit of bullying the larger hens with slight handicaps. (such as only one eye or a lame leg) Overall they haven't been my favorites. [​IMG] This being said, there are always exceptions! [​IMG] I'm sure plenty have had good experiences with boys of this breed.

~Alex

6. fowlman01

fowlman01 Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    The males can be very aggressive to humans. It is strain specific though, so it's not all of them.

Walt

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  7. Poultrylord

Oct 19, 2016
    Hollis Center, Maine
    Thanks for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by