Do Duck Eggs Always Look Like Fertile Chicken Eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wbruder17, Mar 15, 2012.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    The yolks from my duck eggs always have a bullseye... but I only have 2 female ducks.... just curious.

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    hhhmm, weird. do you have mallards around your place? a drake could be flying in to "love" on them....?

3. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Oh! And they are East Indies ducks. Yes, we have wild mallards, but unless they can do it through the chicken wire, they are not fertilizing anything, as my ducks don't free range....

But there is a DISTINCT bullseye, almost every egg. I tried hatching a few, but they weren't viable, so not fertilized imo.

I saw them "making love" in the pool, but I get 2 eggs a day from them, and someone told me even 2 females will "mate"....

I'm baffled.

4. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Is it possible to get a pic?

5. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I don't have a pic of the birds, but they look just like and East Indies duck. One has a bunch more white feathhers on the chest than the other. One lays a big, grayish egg, and the other lays a smaller green egg. Looks almost like an EE egg, but the shell is way thicker and the insides are both gooey-er than a chicken egg. No curled butt feathers that the males should have.

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    All eggs have a spot on the yolk. If the egg is fertile, the spot will have a ring around it.

I don't know what you are seeing, but if all you have is 2 females and the eggs aren't developing when you incubate them, the eggs aren't fertile.

7. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    That's why I posted this.... the eggs have the bullseye. I have a rooster, and have hatched several clutches of chicks, so I know a fertile egg.... that's why this is so confusing.

8. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    At first, because of the bullseye, I thought they were chicken eggs laid out of the box.....but I am now certain they are the duck eggs.

9. michaelinnc84

michaelinnc84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Western North Carolina
    Duck eggs are just like chicken eggs.. bullseye means fertile.

10. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Well, then, this is one that I just can't explain. Because there is most definately a bullseye on the white spot. And I almost definately have 2 females. This is seriously baffling. I know drakes have, more than ample parts, so I guess breeding through the fencce is not completely out of the question.... but he would have to have sniper accuracy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by