Do Duck pairs need to be the same species?? ISO Drake Snowy Mallard

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jessalyn, Apr 21, 2016.

1. jessalyn

jessalyn New Egg

Apr 21, 2016
    North Texas
    As of yesterday I had a hen and a drake Snowy Mallard that were a month and a half old. My drake died last night and my hen (Gracie) is completely heartbroken; I need to find her another companion. My question is ... do I need to find the same species and the exact same age or is there some leniency?

Either way i'm ISO another drake for Gracie all advice and help finding another drake is greatly appreciated!! I'm located in North TX

2. Virus

Virus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2015
    Kentucky
    They don't need to be the same breed but I would keep the ages pretty close. Though most have a big hen and a small drake, it's easier on the girls if the male is smaller than her. She can sort of be the boss.

3. jessalyn

jessalyn New Egg

Apr 21, 2016
    North Texas
    Thank you this is good to know!

4. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington
    Muscovies can cross breed with other ducks but their offspring are sterile. Other Mallard derived breeds will cross breed with fertility. If you want to breed it is best to keep the same breed instead of crossing breeds if you want the ducklings to retain their value. If you are eating all the eggs and not hatching any it does not matter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by