do ducklings get pasty butt?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sunket77, May 12, 2011.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    I always have a least one chick with this problem but one of my little call ducklings seems to continually have a poopy bottom! do I need to keep wiping him clean and worry this will be an issue? sorry for posting so much I am such a newbie to ducklings!!

2. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    Does the duckling have water to swim in? This would play a major part in keeping it clean. Just make sure it's supervised when still young though [​IMG]

3. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    no I haven't provided swim water since they are still so young, plus they are with two little chicks, I haven't set them up a separate place just yet, BUT I can let them have a little swim every day ...I was just thinkings if I let them go swimming for a little while they will clean themselves [​IMG] I let them swim in a tupperware container for a little while the last couple of days (supervised of course) They love it!

4. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    Yeah don't give them permament access to deep water, but give them a supervised swim each day and they will preen and sort themselves out [​IMG] Hopefully that should make things better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by