1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do ducks and geese need to be locked up at night once grown?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by moenmitz, Jun 23, 2008.

1. moenmitz

moenmitz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    I herd them into a hardware cloth prison right now at night as they are just 7 weeks old-but once they are grown, do I still need to keep them somewhere predator proof? We have a dog and several cats that kill pretty much every wild creature that comes in the yard, so I am not worried about coons or foxes-would owls take a grown goose or duck?

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Ducks will need to be in a predator proof cage at night

I have 2 male Toulouse geese that are 1 year old. They stay outside 24/7. They are never locked up at night. Owls wouldnt take a grown goose, a duck they will.

3. moenmitz

Apr 15, 2008
    Ok, that is kinda what I was thinking...a grown goose would not be soemthing that would seem like easy prey to me!

4. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Lock them up. Owls won't take a goose down, but coyotes, foxes, bobcats and dogs will. All it takes is that one night a few months down the road to regret not locking them up regularly.

The good thing is that geese figure out what you want pretty quickly. After a night of being in a pen you can get them to go back in every night with a little herding, if none at all. Some nights I go outside and the geese have already put themselves up. Other times I have to scoot them inside. It's a simple enough process to not do it.

5. moenmitz

Apr 15, 2008
    I wouldn't leave them completely unprotected. They would still be in a large penned area at night, but right now I lock them in the barn at night, which is ajacent to the large pen. The big pen should keep out foxes, coyotes, etc-but nothing from above. We have a 120 pound malamute that deters most creatures from coming in the yard, and 9 cats that keep and little furry thing from prospering as well!

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Ive had my two male geese out since march, and nothing has happened.

7. Paegglvr

Paegglvr Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2008
    My ducks just follow the chickens in the coop every night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by