do ducks eat slugs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by eco2pia, Aug 15, 2010.

1. eco2pia

eco2pia In the Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    Ok, seriously, I live in NW Washington. I need to know, will ducks really eat slugs? Not poke at them, not just snack on one that wanders across their path once in a while, but really, really, seek and destroy? I would love to hear that they consume half their body weight in slugs a day, we have that many available. Don't tell me other ways to get rid of slugs, I know the beer, the night flashlight hunts, the DE, the copper, etc, etc. I need active resident protection here, anti-slug gaurd ducks marching in voracious little waddling patrols....is it gonna happen? Tell me the truth.

2. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    OH YES THEY DO!

Ours have gone hog wild over slugs from day one. So I would let them at the little buggars!

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I have always heard that they love slugs.

4. TLWR

TLWR Songster

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I have 3 two week old runners and they jump on anything that moves in their kennel. So far no slugs are in the kennel, and now that I think of it, I've not really seen slugs here, and not like I did in Kodiak, but if they are out there, I'm sure my ducks will eat them faster than I can say "hey, there's a slug!"

5. conroy

conroy Songster

Oct 10, 2008
    I had a Lhasa Apso growing up that LOVED to eat slugs...what a mess!!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  6. eco2pia

eco2pia In the Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    So maybe I need to get ducks AND a Lhasa Apso...I don't have ducks yet, trying to decide. I must have slug killers!!! Either that, or I douse my whole property in gasoline and torch the sucker-- which wouldn't help my garden anyway....

7. Happyflower

Happyflower Songster

Jun 3, 2009
    Midwest
    They LOVE them! I haven't seen a slug in my yard for a really long time.

8. jrobertson

jrobertson Robertson's Rare Poultry

Apr 24, 2010
    NW Alabama
    when i dump the pools in my duck yard, crickets go everywhere. then the ducks gobble them up. really, anything small and slow enough, they will eat.

9. eco2pia

eco2pia In the Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    Well that's a relief, so maybe my plan of having ducks on slug-patrol wasn't so harebrained after all...all I can say is that chickens like beetle-y things like grubs and sow bugs, stuff with legs, but they wont bother with slime--not even earthworms, never mind slugs. Picky little brats!

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    The main reason I started looking in to owning ducks was because my yard is infested with slugs. Having ducks has greatly reduced the population. The funny thing is I am in Colorado...semi arid. How I ended up being infested with slugs is beyond me [​IMG]

LukePalmer likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by