Do ducks molt and lose feathers?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by babyboy1_mom, Aug 17, 2008.

1. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    I have a pair of Runner ducks and starting yesterday morning, there was a lot of feathers in their pen. At first I thought that something might have tried to pull one of them through a hole or crack, but no evidence on the outside of the pen.

This morning when I went out, then there was a lot of feathers inside the pen again. (I had cleaned the ones up from yesterday.) Neither one looks ragged from feather loss, but one of them is definitely losing feathers.

My hen has not layed in about 9 days now, so I am thinking that this is a molt. (She normally lays almost every day.)

So, do ducks molt like chickens and lose their feathers or should I be more concerned about it being a something trying to get my ducks?

Thanks for all help in advance.

Dorothy

2. LV426

LV426 Chillin

Jul 16, 2008
    Yes they do molt.

3. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    yes they molt mine are molting now

4. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Yeah they Molt. My grand parents think we lose one every time. [​IMG]

5. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Thanks for the replies. I have owned chickens for quite a while, but this is the first time that I have ever owned ducks and I was worried that something was trying to get my favorite 2 ducks.

I guess that explains why I haven't gotten an egg from my hen in about 9 days also...lol

Dorothy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by