Do Ducks need grit like chickens????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by redhen, Jan 22, 2009.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    thanks for any help, Wendy:)

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Grit: Ducks that have access to dirt will pick up small stones on their own and don't need supplemental grit offered. If your ducks are kept in enclosures without access to dirt, sprinkle a small amount of grit on their food once a week.

from http://www.forthebirdsdvm.com/ducks.htm

3. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    thanks!...[​IMG]

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Your welcome! [​IMG]

5. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    My ducks are always picking through the yard..but I still put alittle in the food once and awhile to make sure..

6. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    i bought a small bag and i just added some of it to their feed mix... but mine don't like to go pickin in the dirt that often

7. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:thanks...but with my 2..it seems like everytime i try to sprinkle chick grit on their food..they wont eat it....picky little brats!...lol

8. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:thanks...but with my 2..it seems like everytime i try to sprinkle chick grit on their food..they wont eat it....picky little brats!...lol

I know picky mine pick out the cracked corn and put it in a pile and only eat the multi-flock pellets! But I am sure they still get some corn and the grit is mixed in..So I am sure they get some of it too...

9. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    see it's fuuny your ducks are picky, mine are the opposite! they will eat ANYTHING! including (but not limited to, lol) paper, cardboard, hair, their own poop, cotton (for a puppy pad), any sort of fuzz of the floor, feathers, etc.. what weirdos...

10. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i even tried tricking them today...i mixed it in their scrambled eggs and veggies....nope...turned up their nose....snooty ducks, i tell ya!...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by