Do ducks take longer to zip?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by maus, Apr 30, 2008.

1. maus

maus Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Florida
    Ok, I have 10 runners and 3 pekins in the bator. 2 of the pekins hatched early, maybe because they were older eggs than the runners. ? (which were shipped to me) I stupidly took the 2 hatched pekins out after they dried because the others really arent due until tomorrow. So anyway, the pekins are fine. I have one runner who has pipped the shell, but he did that 24 hrs ago and seems to be taking forever to zip. Now the membrane appears to be drying out, and I am worried he is stuck. Meanwhile, another runner has started to pip. I am not going to disturb the rest of the eggs at this point and risk losing them to try to get the zipping guy out.
    So, my question is, Is it normal for runners to take a loooooong time to zip? I really hope this guy makes it. He looks like he will be chocolate colored. Have I completely messed up the rest of the hatch by opening the bator? [​IMG]

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Opening the incubator once to remove ducklings would not make a big difference. Where is your humidity currently?

Just like chicks there are those who take forever to fully hatch.

3. maus

Oct 30, 2007
    Florida
    The humidity is at 74% and the temp is 99.5
    I hope that is good. I am still very much a newbie. This will be my 3rd hatch, but first time hatching ducks. I didnt mist them at all during incubation either.

4. SueNH

SueNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2007
    How's the hatch going?

I can only offer sympathy. I've got an incubator full of slowpokes going now too. Just when I think it's all over I see another pip. I'm now stretching out over a whole week for 3 ducks so far. More to go.

Slowly going nuts.

5. maus

Oct 30, 2007
    Florida
    Ahhh so ducks are supposed take forever and drive us all nuts! Ok maybe this hatch isnt as screwed up as I thought.
    Im just stressing out because I don't work today so now I get to worry and stay glued to the bator all day. LOL [​IMG]

6. SueNH

SueNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2007
    I don't know if they are supposed to be like this. I do know I'm going nuts waiting!

I've gone over to the incubator several times already with every intention of sending things to the composter only to see a pip.

See my post about duck eggs being slooooow!

I've got to go find something to do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by