Do Easter Eggers lay the same color eggs as their legs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by candychick, Mar 10, 2013.

1. candychick

candychick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2012
    US
    i have four chickens one of which is an easter egger... they have just recently started laying eggs and my easter egger finally laid its first egg!!!! [​IMG]it was a green blue egg and later on i remember that when it was a chick i started noticing that its legs were a light green color almost the same color as the egg...i've heard that the eggs are the same color as their ears but the easter eggers eggs are not the same color as its ears...just wondering [​IMG]

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    it's not directly related, but green legs usually do mean green eggs. Green legged ones can also lay brown or cream eggs. On the other hand ear lobe color is completely unrelated to egg color

edited for horrible typos

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Actually, it's the other way around. Earlobe color is correlated with egg color, and leg color is not. The general rule is that chickens with white earlobes will lay white eggs and chickens with red earlobes will lay brown egg[FONT=Verdana, Arial]s. This will work about 75-80% of the time. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]Another thing to look for is a pea comb. The gene for pea combs is in close proximity to the blue egg gene on the chromosome, so pea-combed birds are much more likely to lay blue or green eggs than brown ones. [/FONT]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  4. candychick

Sep 22, 2012
    US
    Thank you!!! [​IMG]

5. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    s

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. candychick

Sep 22, 2012
    US
    [​IMG] Lol ok...i'm not sure which is the right one but ill just guess that neither the comb color or the legs have anything to do with the color eggs they lay [​IMG] does anyone know if there is a way to accually tell?????????

7. DoreesHenHouse

DoreesHenHouse New Egg

Sep 14, 2015
    What is pea comb?

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Here's an illustration of different comb styles, but they're roosters...

[​IMG]

These are mature hens with pea combs. They're as big as they're going to get.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. DoreesHenHouse

DoreesHenHouse New Egg

Sep 14, 2015
    Thanks for the info. Here is my combless hen.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by