Do EE's egg color change after they mature a bit?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ASD Dad, Sep 18, 2018.

1. ASD Dad

ASD Dad Chirping

Mar 15, 2018
    Upstate, SC
    Bought 6 EE's from local farm supply store since kids really wanted some different colored eggs vs. brown. They are 7 months old now and two started laying. First one is laying brown eggs :( Knew it was possible but still a giant bummer. Second just starting laying two days ago and laid another today. She is laying a sort of weirdish speckled off white egg. No real color to it, brown or otherwise. Maybe a ever so slight hint of blue but mostly I guess bluish-white with white speckles.

Do they ever change at all or get more intense as they mature? Guessing they do not but had to hope... I know brown is brown forever but hoping to have some more color out there. We still have 4 to go to start laying.

Alexandra33 likes this.
  2. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    If anything egg color can lighten throughout the laying cycle, but that's about it, nothing too drastic. Maybe make it a game and have the kids somehow guess/bet on what color egg each chicken will lay so it's still a bit exciting. I have mostly brown layers, but every egg is different and I do like that I can generally tell who laid which egg.

Alexandra33 likes this.
  3. krischix19

krischix19 In the Brooder

Aug 31, 2017
    I’m curious if your eggs ever changed color? I bought 3 EE and they have all been laying pink eggs since Sept/Oct when they started laying. Like you we were bummed out but oh well. This week they started laying blue/green eggs!! I know it’s them because they’re our only EE and the only ones that could have been laying the pink ones too. No one else seems to have had this happen. Did yours change color?

Alexandra33 likes this.
  4. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chook Snuggler

You don't have any other breeds that could be responsible for the pink eggs? While it's feasible for shades of green and blue to vary during the laying cycle, the color never truly "changes." For example, it's impossible for a blue layer to also produce brown. :)

~Alex

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  5. ASD Dad

ASD Dad Chirping

Mar 15, 2018
    Upstate, SC
    Nope, mine are all the same. We have some light colored with white speckles, a little pinkish, blue and green now. Nice to have a variety! With it being winter we only get one EE egg every few days though which is a huge bummer. We have to actually go buy eggs a few times since winter set in.

Alexandra33 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: