1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Do EE's go broody?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ginbart, Dec 21, 2008.

1. ginbart

ginbart Crowing

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I have 2 EE hens and would like to know if they go broody at all. I may hatch more if they do. It will save me some work this spring. [​IMG] Thanks.

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I had them for 4-5 years, never had one go broody.......

Real ameraucanas will go broody.

3. One of my two EE's went broody [​IMG]

4. Ol'Biddy

Ol'Biddy In the Brooder

Sep 24, 2008
    Southeast Oregon
    With chickens anything is possible:idonno. I've heard that broody has been bred out of BS, but one of my hens went broody last fall after only laying a few tiny pullet eggs. It took me a while to realize what was happening considering the short, cold days, her breed, age, and no roo. She was pretty easy to break so might not have actually hatched out a clutch, but I'm hoping she does it again in spring so I can put some fertile eggs under her and hope for the best.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I have 2 EE's, both went broody this year and one was broody 3 times. [​IMG]

6. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Songster

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Mine have in fact one just hatched at thanksgiving, she hatched out a couple batches of guineas this spring too.

7. ginbart

ginbart Crowing

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    [​IMG] Hopefully my bator can be put away in the spring, I'm going with the 3 out of 4 saying yes. [​IMG]

Thanks everyone.

8. ams3651

ams3651 Songster

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    Quote:im right there with you wishing... I dont want to hatch and if momma will do all the work thats even better [​IMG] If one of my RIR ever go broody I will fall over [​IMG] Im not even wishing for that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: