Do EE's with no tail commonly get pooey-butts?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Zoomom, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Zoomom

Zoomom Certified Cackleberry Consumer

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    I went out to check on my girls the other night and my only EE without a tail had a ton of poo stuck to her butt feathers. I had to wash her off and trim some butt feathers, and then towel dry and blow dry her before putting her back in the coop as it was below freezing that night. (She seemed to enjoy the bath.)

Is this a common thing for chickens without tails or just a fluke? The poos looked normal.

Thanks for any help.

Zoomom

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I don't have chickens but that doesn't sound like a normal thing to me.

3. GermanChick

GermanChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    NW Missouri
    I don't think the "no tail" is issue.
    Out of my 18 chickens I have 2 or 3 that have always pooey butts. I don't know what the issue is but I have to trim their feathers regularly and clean them. The dried poop is just like a ball hanging around their butt and there is now way to get it off without cutting the feathers. They seem to be healthy, laying eggs and just happy chickens. No idea why that happens. Maybe someone with more experience can help out. But I don't think that the "no tail" makes a difference.....

4. Zoomom

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    thanks for the input. I will keep an eye on her and let you know if it happens again.

Anyone else with the same thing, please respond. Maybe she is just floofy at the back???[​IMG]

5. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    My chicken " Bumless" always had a poopy bum - she always ate the same feed as all of the others but she was messy to say the least - she was what was described as a rumpless chicken - hence her name bumless!

She was bathed regularly but her rear looked awful - strangely enough no flies bothered her at all!

Suzie

6. Zoomom

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks Suzie. She was only hatched in September, so I guess I'll see if it continues - so far so good though since her spa treatment! [​IMG]

7. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I have a hen that always has a poopy butt. I've tried washing her but it it wass too hard and smelly.[​IMG]

8. Zoomom

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    I know what you mean - after hosing her in the shower, I ended up cutting out a lot of the poo with scissors, then I had to sanitize the scissors. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by