Do eggs get bigger as pullets mature?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by allisojo, Jan 11, 2009.

1. allisojo

allisojo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2008
    Nuevo Mexico
    Hi there - Our 22-week-old BO and EE just started laying last week. Between the two of them, we get at least an egg a day now. (Our five other pullets are younger and aren't laying yet.) Their eggs have great shells and are beautiful, but they are on the small side. Will they get bigger as the pullets become hens? About when will their egg size be more or less established? Thanks a lot for your help.

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Can't help on the BO eggs but our EE eggs got just a bit larger after they made the transition from pullet to hen. I have both in my flock right now and will try and post a pic of the size difference if they lay tomorrow.

Dawn

3. allisojo

allisojo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2008
    Nuevo Mexico
    That would be very helpful and informative, Dawn. Thanks a lot.

4. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    According to many posts here, "first" eggs are usually small and it takes a week or so to get to "the system" going!!! [​IMG]

You should see "normal" eggs soon!!!

Cindy

5. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    I have two laying right now, one a smallish Gold Sex Link who has laid ginormous eggs from almost the beginning. The other a largish Buff Brahma who lays teeny eggs compared to her flock-sister!

If I were to store size them, the Gold lays anything from Extra Large to Jumbos every day.

The Brahma lays Medium to Small consistantly. Wierdest thing of all? The yolks are about the same size, sometimes the Brahmas yolks are a little bigger! The Gold is having huge whites. Just one time last week, Brahma laid a huge egg and it turned out to be a double yolk. I wondered if this was going to become a 'thing' with her but next day she was back to her signature teeny weenies. (At least for the size of her body!)

6. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    Our girls' eggs got bigger with practice!

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Our white rock just went through bumblefoot (all better now) and a molt. Her first egg out of molt was this cute little "boof" egg. We're hoping she starts giving us the big one that she was accustomed to providing before.

8. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Yes, they should start to get bigger in 2-3 weeks. This has been my recent experience.
    As far as when they are hens I'm not sure, not there yet.

9. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Yes, they should start to get bigger in 2-3 weeks. This has been my recent experience.
    As far as when they are hens I'm not sure, not there yet.

10. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    My Dellies and BR were laying small to peewee size eggs when they first started laying. Now, after about 5 months of laying, they're usually large.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by