Do eggs get bigger?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nbenevento, Feb 13, 2013.

1. nbenevento

nbenevento Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2012
    From Southwestern, PA.
    My black australorp layer her first egg today (very exciting). It is so much smaller than my RIR's and leghorns. Will my australorps eggs get bigger with time or will they always be this small?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Her eggs will get larger as she gets further into her laying cycle. Next year they will most likely be even larger.

3. nbenevento

Nov 12, 2012
    From Southwestern, PA.
    Thanks! One more question. Since I am only 99% certain it is the black australorps egg...I also have a silver laced Wyandotte. They were hatched the same day, a few days before Labor Day. These two are separated from the rest of my hens. I am making the assumption it is the Australorp that layer since they seem to be known for laying sooner than others. Would you agree that it is the Australorp?

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Maybe. [​IMG]

5. The odds are 50/50 if they are the only two hens. [​IMG]

You can watch and see. Likely the Australorp can be a better layer but that is not 100% for certain.

Yes those eggs will get bigger. In the next month you will notice. Next year they will even be biggger.

Best of wishes!

6. nbenevento

Nov 12, 2012
    From Southwestern, PA.
    Lol...ok. Close enough!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by