do eggs need to set before going in the bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by L*A*G*, Jan 15, 2009.

1. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    i heard that before and didn't know if it is true. [​IMG]
    is there anything else I'm missing? [​IMG]
    I'm gonna b hatching soon so i need all the info i can get [​IMG]
    Please let me know,
    Larra

2. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Yes they should set at the least 6-8 hrs to et to room temp and for the egg to settle from shipping carrying whatever way you recieved them. I usually let mine sit overnight regardless of whether they were shipped or just came from the coop.

3. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Eggs going from cold temperatures to warm temperatures can form condensation inside the shell, and that is supposed to be a Bad Thing. Letting them warm up slowly prevents condensation.

From my own experiments of warming up hatching eggs (I left them in a closed carton, hoping that would keep the process slow and steady) - they warmed up at about 10 deg. per hour according to a temperature probe placed in one of the eggs. So 40 - 70 took ~3 hours.

In practice, I have been letting mine sit quite a bit longer. But I would consider 3 hours the bare minimum if the eggs have been cold.

4. sara

sara Title Needed Here

If they get cold I would warm them to room temp. During spring/summer/fall eggs from my coop I put directly in.

5. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    For a good hatch...How long can they sit at room temp until you set them? How many days could you pick up eggs before putting them in the incubator?

6. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I would suggest collecting a weeks worth, but you could collect up to two weeks if you wanted to. [​IMG] Just keep them in a cool spot until you are ready to set them.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  7. TheNewMrsEvans

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    I've been collecting since 1/10...I keep them in our cool laundry room in a carton, and tilt them 3x day. So I can go for 14 days?

8. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Up to 7 would be optimal, but I've hatched eggs that have been in a refrigerator for weeks. If they aren't shipped they are going to hold up a lot longer than shipped eggs..

9. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    Thanks for the help [​IMG]
    I plan to let them set like 8 hrs.
    Is there anything else that i need to do
    before they go in bator?
    Thanks for all the replys,
    Larra [​IMG]

10. TheNewMrsEvans