Do Eggshells Have Enough Calcium????

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by salt and pepper, Dec 14, 2012.

1. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

hi, I was wondering if leftover eggshells fed back to the hens would be enough calcium for them? Oystershell is pretty expensive, and eggshells are free. so I would really like to be able to feed that to them instead.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  2. Jungleexplorer

Jungleexplorer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Abilene, Texas
    My Coop
    Lot's of folks feed eggs shells back to their chickens. Some recommend that you crush them first so your birds don't start eating their own eggs. If you are feeding your birds Layer, then they should be getting enough calcium from that, but a little extra never hurts.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  3. Ashburnham

Ashburnham Chillin' With My Peeps

I've always given mine shellgrit in addition to what they get in the layers pellets.
    But then I live fairly close to the beach.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    They only need "extra" if you're having problems with thin shells, but it doesn't hurt to feed them back rather than just wasting them

5. salt and pepper

thanks =) I free range my chickens often, so I wasn't sure if that would affect, the balanced layer feed =) I'm glad I have a cheaper option!!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  6. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I get oyster shell for $8/50 lbs. and it lasts a year or more. You can pay that much for 5-10 lbs at a place like TSC. Really good insurance, but egg shells probably work too.

7. Jungleexplorer

Jungleexplorer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Abilene, Texas
    My Coop
    X2. I do this too. $8 a year is well worth it considering the time I am saving not having to collect eggshells, crush them and keep containers washed everyday.

8. salt and pepper

I see your point, I just never thought it would last that long.

9. lbrtyldy

lbrtyldy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2011
    How long a bag will last will have something to do with how many chickens there are.

10. salt and pepper

that's true.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by