1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do female Cayugas get the curl on their tail?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by katlovesaandw, Jun 27, 2011.

1. katlovesaandw

katlovesaandw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    Oregon
    Well.... despite that we sexed George at 2-3 weeks old and determined it was a she. YEAH![​IMG]
    Now that George is almost 17 weeks old, we think that his name fits the sex.[​IMG]
    The past 2 weeks, despite that he was basically full size...... has started to get 2 curls on his tail.

I just got done checking all the images I could find and none of the females Cayugas even remotely had a curl to their tail.

Hubby and I caught him and tried to sex him again but his feathers are too thick to check and not to mention that George was not thrilled with this process either.

So, is there ANY chance he is still a SHE..... do girls get curls on their tails?

He is beautiful and loves to talk to me..... but I was really hoping for a female so we could get eggs.

Any ideas?

2. quibs

quibs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    New Jersey
    Nope, sorry. The curl is on drakes

3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Yeah, girls don't get the curly feather from what I know. Also, girls love to quack, boys sound more muffled.

4. katlovesaandw

Apr 1, 2008
    Oregon
    That is what I thought.....

Stupid sexing thing.... we followed that little video online on how to sex your duckling, it appeared female.
    And we did it twice and got 2nd opinion of our sons just to make sure.

[​IMG]

Man this bites...... 1st time raising anything ourselves, I get the little black duckling I fell in love with and Hubby get an EE chick, sexed pullet. We check the duckling, go on basis we feel it is a female. Now we have an EE roo and a Cayuga drake. So much for OUR sexing of the duck and the breeder sexing of the EE!

We decide to do it again after George and the EE go outside, get 3 chicks slightly older. 1 turns out to be a roo.[​IMG]

3rd batch our friend gives us 3 as he had too many plus we get 4 more EE chicks since we are losing the one that turned out to be a Roo..... We lose 1 of the chicks he gave us as it was not looking good the first night. We lose 1 of the EE's within the first week, a tiny one that was like failure to thrive. Now, out of the 5 remaning.... one of the polish chicks he gave us is appearing to be a Roo too.....UGH!

Not sure if we are raising chicks anymore, too sad and depressing when we have to rehome the Roos(cant have any within Portland city limits) or lose chicks.

5. katlovesaandw

Apr 1, 2008
    Oregon
    George loves to quack but he/she has the 2 curls on their tail.

I am thinking a drake....

6. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a quacking duck with a curl on its tail. [​IMG] I sure do, Got it as part of a forsome at the sale. Quacks, Quacks and quacks louder than the rest of my ducks and my drakes have bred her. I have no idea if she is laying tho as there are 11 other Pekins in with her.

7. Stormy Autumn

Stormy Autumn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Florida
    Ok, there IS a super duper ultra slim chance that it's a female with a curly tail. Sort of like a bearded lady. But it's probably a drake. Does she really have a loud, duck-sounding quack? My drake is very talkative, but his voice is deep and raspy like a frog croaking.

8. katlovesaandw

Apr 1, 2008
    Oregon
    I consider his quack that he is saying Mom when he does it. Sounds like a quack. Not as loud as the Pekin 1/2 block down and 1/2 block over..... I can hear that duck in early mornings in my backyard. George quacks but not the annoying QUACK, QUACK, QUACK like other ducks but then again, Cayugas are on the quieter scale for quacking.... at least that is what I read or how breed it listed.

I am wishing he was a girl that just grew into her name, YKWIM!LOL But, I am sure he is a drake. He is best buddies with the EE Roo since they grew up together and the EE Roo was going to be finding a new home soon, just waiting until he crowed. We were concerned about George and how he would handle it but I think he would be ok now that he has somewhat melded into the rest of our flock.

But, I may offer them together on our local chicken group and see if I get any takers. Then I would know they were going to a decent home instead of for food.

We really do not want a boy duck. We have 3 Muscovy hens plus our chickens and I did not want fertilized eggs.

Breaks my heart as George is my baby.....[​IMG]

9. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

my female with a drake feather QUACKS QUACKKKKKKKKKKKS QUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACKS. There is no quiet raspy or even a remote rasp in that duck at all.

10. katlovesaandw

Apr 1, 2008
    Oregon
    I do not think he/she has a rasp. I will ask hubby what he thinks when he gets home from his Dr. appt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by