do female chickens crow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jcfrontiersman, Jul 5, 2008.

1. jcfrontiersman

jcfrontiersman New Egg

Jul 5, 2008
    I am new to this chicken thing and my black heavies started crowing like a rooster the other day. I am sure they are females they are about 15 weeks old.

2. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Wow! I had a rooster for a while, but he was WAY too noisey for my neighborhood & he had to go..... [​IMG]

But, then one of my hens started doing some very strange "crowing" sounds, too. I think I read that some hens DO start a sort of "crowing" if there is no roo around!

I found it very interesting as perhaps there is something about crowing that is necessary to the whole flock? I really am just quessing though..... [​IMG]

3. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:Hens CLUCK CLUCK , CLUCK , BUT not CROW ....

Bet they are roosters .....

hens only start clucking when it is approaching time for them to start laying .

Magicbubble likes this.
  4. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    If you put this into the forum titled "chicken behaviors & egg laying" you will get quick good answers. Notify I mod to move this thread for you.
    [​IMG]
    great to have a new chicken enthusiast

5. fowlafoot

fowlafoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Midwest
    Hens can crow, it's not common but some do. It's more likely that it's actually a rooster but if you are really sure they are all hens it's a definate possibility. I've had one do it and she was an adult and laid eggs 4 time a week. Her crow wasn't as impressive as the males it's a little quieter and more strangled sounding.

6. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Quote:Oh yes.... [​IMG]

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Welcome to the insanity...
    hens can and do crow...
    I had one.

Sometimes it's a hormonal thing. Could be an infection. Could be a true hermaphrodite like my Slifer was...

8. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome and YES, we witnessed my blue Americauna hen, 1 yr old and has been laying eggs (the only green egg for 4 months, now added a EE, I get 2 green eggs) and recently got rid of roo, to find Jojo standing on a rock, DH in garden behind her, myself in door yard in front of her when she let out this strangled rooouutaaarooaauuu! I thought DH had kicked her in the biscuit! But nope, she apparently tried to crow.
    I am in hopes that a bantam roo is going to fill her needs for a roo, he will be less abusive to my small flock.
    So, nope, your not nuts.
    [​IMG]

That there is my problem child!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Hens most certainly make the attempt!

In a flock of all females, there will be one that rises to the top of the hierarchy, which is normally called the alpha female.
    In general terms, she adopts the position a rooster would normally hold and most of the behaviors, in the bargain.

She watches over the others, keeps them in check and yes, crows. It actually has a name, appropriately called "hencrowing."
    It doesnt sound like a cock-a-doodle-doo crow normally associated with a cock, but it is both loud and annoying (well, to some).

Oh, yes, a hen can crow, in her own way. I had BO female once that would wake the dead with her hencrowing.

10. jcfrontiersman

jcfrontiersman New Egg

Jul 5, 2008
    Thanks for the input. I wasn't excepting to hear anything like they been doing the last couple of days. When my neighbor told me she head them I though she was crazy till I heard them this morning, around 8:45-9:00. And to have 2 of my 6 birds doing it. We got a good laugh out of it. I will have to post some pictures of the trouble makers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by