Do female ducks mount each other? Do I have a drake or a hen?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by amschaar, Sep 15, 2009.

1. amschaar

amschaar New Egg

Sep 15, 2009
    I have a Pekin female duck. And a Rouen female duck. I assume it is female because I got them as chicks at the end of April and it is now mid September and it looks like a female. Yesterday, the Rouen mounted the Pekin, biting the neck, holding her down, and initiating what looked like mating.

Now, I am confused. [​IMG] There is not a curly tail feather... there is not ANY green on head. She looks just like a female Rouen.

Here is a pic of her just last week. Any advice?[​IMG]

2. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    she looks female maybe its her just showing dominance.

3. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Someone recently said it best. Their drive to mate is extremely high. I have males and females and my females take turns mounting each other. Sometimes the boys aren't even interested or if they are, the females drive them off. It's been a recent thing in my young flock and very interesting to watch.

Looks like you have females.

4. hendrix25

hendrix25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    GA
    do you have a side picture of her/him? i agree with chickenbottom on the showing dominance part. but the pic of the rouen looks like theres a slight curl at the base of her/his tail. it could just be the angle of the picture though. too males won't be in "mating" colors during off season. i'm not sure it that could be the reason for no head color. more than likely though, your rouen is a female that is dominant. that will happen if you don't have a drake. if you have a picture of a side view that would help too. good luck!

5. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Yep, looks like you have 2 females and as odd as it looks, it's a normal thing. I was quite confused when I saw it for the first time too.

6. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

So far my females all take turns... they squat for each other. FWIW it looks like they are having tons of fun and that dominance isn't playing a part in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by