do female muscovy's make better pets than males?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by showjumper_girl2002, Jun 23, 2011.

1. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    I'm going to be a new mom to 2 muscovy ducklings [​IMG] but should I get males or females? They're going to be pets and i've heard males can be agressive, especially if there's 2. Any opinions?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. mickt

mickt Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Hi showjumper_girl2002 great choice from what i have noticed yes males can be agressive as long as you dont have a femail around especialy during breeding season

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I am fairly certain i have at least one drake. He's definitely got an 'attitude' but i wouldn't say he's nasty. The trouble with muscovy is the genders are hard to tell as ducklings they have to be older and even then you need people quite familiar with the gender differences.

4. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    It depends on whether you want more or less eggs, really. I have found that both genders are equally friendly and my drake isn't any more agressive than my girls. I've seen my girls take on a bully goose and win! If you only have 2 boys they'll get along fine, it's the addition of not enough females that cause the drakes to fight and that's the case with all ducks. If you have a good ratio of girls to boys (based on their breeding robust-ness) you'll never have any trouble with any of your boys. If you have any other female birds (including chickens) there is a possiblity that the lone male ducks will attempt to mate with them.

5. showjumper_girl2002

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    If the 2 end up being male and female will they still be friendly and want to be with me as adults or just worry about eachother. Also will the male get aggressive towards me as an adult due to having a female around?

6. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Quote:I don't think 1 drake to 1 hen is a good ratio, at least from what i have read. It should be 4-6 hens to one drake which is where my trouble is. I only own 4 and fairly sure, 2 are hens 1 is a drake. My last one is recovering from injury so were unsure how much of a recovery it will make plus it's behind in development to so for now it's gender is not of concern.

7. showjumper_girl2002

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    ok changing the subject a little bit lol. i'm having a hard time finding day old muscovy's for sale without having to order 3 or more and i only want two ducks. finding lots of pekis though, are pekins as friendly as muscovy's?

8. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Quote:I'm not in the US so where i got mine is of little use however there have been quite a few threads lately on where to buy the breed. As for pekin i don't know much about them but there noisy well in comparison to muscovy .. tons own the pekin though so it should be easy enough to get info. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by