Do female polish chicks grow tail feathers faster then male?

Nenad

Songster
May 4, 2021
Serbia, Bačka Palanka
My single buff polish chick hatched in night between 11th and 12th march. It grew feathers on wings and barely started on tail. Since I don'r have any more polish chick, I need to know do females develop feathers faster than males. Thanks
20220315_085629-1.jpg
20220315_085620.jpg

My single buff polish chick hatched in night between 11th and 12th march. It grew feathers on wings and barely started on tail. Since I don'r have any more polish chick, I need to know do females develop feathers faster than males. ThanksView attachment 3025411View attachment 3025412
I do not think you can tell anything about the gender of a Polish chick by looking at how fast the feathers grow.

A few kinds of chickens are feather-sexable, meaning the males do grow feathers at a different rate than the females: but that only works with specific combinations of parents. In all other cases, both genders can grow feathers fast or slow/

(Sorry no-one noticed your question sooner.)

I do not think you can tell anything about the gender of a Polish chick by looking at how fast the feathers grow.

A few kinds of chickens are feather-sexable, meaning the males do grow feathers at a different rate than the females: but that only works with specific combinations of parents. In all other cases, both genders can grow feathers fast or slow/

(Sorry no-one noticed your question sooner.)
I know about fast x slow feathering can be sexable at hatch but I saw multiple older posts on here than generaly female chicks grow tail feathers faster first week. Do you know maybe does that work on australorps chick 'cause I have grown cockerel but my neighbour will have chicks and I only need females because I don't want to cull and nobody in my area needs cockerels. Thanks

I know about fast x slow feathering can be sexable at hatch but I saw multiple older posts on here than generaly female chicks grow tail feathers faster first week. Do you know maybe does that work on australorps chick 'cause I have grown cockerel but my neighbour will have chicks and I only need females because I don't want to cull and nobody in my area needs cockerels. Thanks

I have seen such posts too, and I am not convinced that it's anything more than random chance. (I could be wrong, but that is what I currently think.)

Back
Top Bottom