Do first time layers.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by harleyjo, Aug 31, 2010.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Do first time layers always lay in the morning? I got my first egg yesterday while I was at work. Now today I am home and I heard the egg song a few hours ago and I did get an egg. I don't know if it is the same girl as yesterday or if this is a different one. I didn't know if some more could lay yet this afternoon or what.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Not usually. It takes roughly 25 hours to make an egg. So they can start in the morning, then it gradually gets later everyday until it's too late to lay so they skip that day and start over the next morning.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I don't think so, at least not all of them. I have 16 hens, and most do lay their eggs before I get home from work at 5pm, but then there is one hen who lays hers later. I collect the eggs after work, and then at night, when I go to do the headcount and lock up, because they free range, I usually see one or two eggs in the nest.....

4. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I knew that but I wondered when they lay for the first time, is it in the morning?

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Not necessarily.

6. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I've had my new layers start at different times of the day. Most of them laid their first egg in the afternoon, because all the "regular" ladies were in the boxes in the morning.

7. isabrownmom

isabrownmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    Indiana
    My five all lay in the morning usually before 10 a.m.

8. mchl

mchl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    I got two new layers one lays in the morning the other lays in afternoon.

9. DKM

DKM Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2009
    Alabama
    I got my first egg yesterday:weee and it was in the afternoon. I got my second egg today and it was also in the afternoon. I'm so thrilled they started laying! [​IMG]

10. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by