Do free-range chicken need grit?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jgilliatt, Jun 30, 2010.

1. jgilliatt

jgilliatt Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2010
    I have read different information. My chickens are out-of-pen from 6am - 8:30pm plucking around the yard. I feed them a bowl of starter and lots of treats like watermelon, oatmeal, and yogurt. Do I need to add grit to their meal or are they getting that from the dirt they eat? I have six sweet black Jersey Giants - about three months old.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

They should not need grit w/free ranging, as they will have tons of opportunities to pick up small rocks/gravel while out and about. [​IMG]

3. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    We don't give ours any and when they are slaughtered their gizzards are full of small stones. My daughter checks them all for ... .... Diamonds !!!

4. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. April Fountain

April Fountain Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2008
    Hawaii
    Yup, no need on the grit but you still may want to give them oyster shell for calcium. I have free range chickens and when I stop putting the shell (just a little bit) in with their food, the egg shells get thin.

6. 1newchickontheblock

1newchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2010
    Eastern MA
    Quote:No.

7. VA from WV

VA from WV Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2009
    Eastern Pandhandle WV
    They shouldn't. There are lots of opportunities for free range and pastured chickens to pick up the grit they need. You would have to be somewhere that there were no stones or something like that before it would become an issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by