do fresh laid eggs need to be refrig.

pinkwindsong

Songster
8 Years
Mar 18, 2011
Laurens SC
Hi everyone I just read a post that said they keep eggs on the counter???? hummmm I never thought to ask before I just assumed you have to refrigerate all eggs.... please tell me what is the normal for collecting eggs for eating and giving away as food not hatching eggs?
idunno.gif

)O(
pink

Last edited:
I too have heard that you can keep eggs out on the counter for a period of time, but fell a lot safer keeping them in the refrigerator. I fear that all the work the hens did to lay the eggs would be wasted by me being lazy and not putting the eggs in the refrigerator where they will be cold and be kept stable. The old saying comes to mind (better safe than sorry).

There is a lengthy post here on this, in Europe they don't refrigerate the eggs they sit out, you can if you want for about 3 weeks, if you are selling them I would refrigerate, and keep them 5 weeks. If it is hot in your house (yeah right it's summer ;}) I would leave out a few. Me I just feel better that there in the fridge, just grew up that way.
caf.gif

I never put my eggs in the fridge unless I have to wash them because it has rained and we have muddy feet.
I also sell my eggs to a meat market and they leave them out too. But my eggs dont make it that long.

I don't put my eggs in the fridge any more. I haven't in a year and I'm still here! Seriously, nothing wrong with leaving them out, so as long as it's not hot in your house. There are lots and lots of threads on this topic as well so there are varying opnions.

very interesting? wonder why in the first place people decided to put in refrigerator? is it because people are able to store food longer. than say before the "ice box" when people tended to use what they had daily or within a day or two where now we buy in bulk and may not use something for days or even weeks?

things that make you go HUIMMMMMM
)O(
Pink

We always put our eggs in the fridge, nice to know that they can be left on the counter for a bit. When you have many hens laying you can get way to many eggs in a hurry, and that takes up a lot of space in the fridge. Thanks for sharing everyone.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom