do frizzle sizzle cochins develop really slowly? (pics)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chick-habit, May 11, 2016.

1. chick-habit

chick-habit Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2016
    los angeles, ca
    penny is growing much slower than the other chicks i brought home here she is on:

[​IMG]
    4/18

[​IMG]
    4/26 (the one on the left is much much bigger than her now)

[​IMG]
    5/2

[​IMG]
    5/11

[​IMG]

for comparison here is the black one taken on 5/11 as well, she's about 3x as big.

penny isolates herself a little from the others and isn't as active as they are. she seems much happier when i let her be outside, she's curious and scratches and finds bugs and pecks at greens. I've been trying to give her a little extra protein occasionally with crickets, meal worms and scrambled egg. she's on a medicated feed and the water has acv, probiotics and vitamins in it. she has access to grit and rocks in the soil in the yard. I'm not 100% sure how old she is, as of 5/11 we've had her for 23 days. is this normal development for a cochin?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Could be something wrong with it. Otherwise roosters will feather out a lot slower than the girls so maybe that's what you are seeing.

3. chick-habit

May 11, 2016
    los angeles, ca
    I'm definitely worried there is something wrong too. the breeder said the hen she came from is a small bird.... don't know if they makes a difference or not. i feel like her feathers are growing but her body isn't. [​IMG]

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    In the one photo it proportions look like they are off, but you never know, don't count them out until the end. Sometimes they rally and catch up.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  5. chick-habit

May 11, 2016
    los angeles, ca
    [​IMG] here is a recent picture of her. From runty freak to beautiful puff ball.

6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Aww, she's so pretty, I haven't had a buff colored one. She really grew, very nice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by