Do geese adopt younger geese/ducks

Discussion in 'Geese' started by marvun22, Jul 28, 2014.

1. marvun22

marvun22 Songster

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    I have a 1 yr, 4 month old African Goose. She has wanted to be a mother for about 3 months. I had to constantly move her and take her eggs away. In just the past couple of days, she's stopped sitting on eggs. It seems like she's adopted my 9 six week old ducklings and 1 six week old gosling. I'm not really complaining, because now she's not sitting on eggs. Is this common? If I knew she'd adopt them, I might have given them to her as babies (and kept them out of my house brooder). Is it common for a goose to adopt so late in the ducklings/goslings lives? I just hope this satisfies her maternal desires.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Yes they do, my goose lost her only gosling when it tried to hatch, so we found 2-2 day old goslings and I kept them inside till they were 3 weeks old, mainly because we have snakes that can eat them but at 3 weeks and after numerous visitations to their new adopted parents my goose adopted both gosling just as though she hatched them herself, they are 8 weeks old now. They have a very strong maternal instinct. Now you know your going to have to post some pics of this happy family.

My gander before I got him a goose for a mate raised ducklings we called him Papa goose.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  3. marvun22

marvun22 Songster

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    I'll get a pic on sooner or later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: