1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Do geese adopt younger geese/ducks

Discussion in 'Geese' started by marvun22, Jul 28, 2014.

1. marvun22

marvun22 Songster

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    I have a 1 yr, 4 month old African Goose. She has wanted to be a mother for about 3 months. I had to constantly move her and take her eggs away. In just the past couple of days, she's stopped sitting on eggs. It seems like she's adopted my 9 six week old ducklings and 1 six week old gosling. I'm not really complaining, because now she's not sitting on eggs. Is this common? If I knew she'd adopt them, I might have given them to her as babies (and kept them out of my house brooder). Is it common for a goose to adopt so late in the ducklings/goslings lives? I just hope this satisfies her maternal desires.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member 8 Years

Yes they do, my goose lost her only gosling when it tried to hatch, so we found 2-2 day old goslings and I kept them inside till they were 3 weeks old, mainly because we have snakes that can eat them but at 3 weeks and after numerous visitations to their new adopted parents my goose adopted both gosling just as though she hatched them herself, they are 8 weeks old now. They have a very strong maternal instinct. Now you know your going to have to post some pics of this happy family.

My gander before I got him a goose for a mate raised ducklings we called him Papa goose.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  3. marvun22

marvun22 Songster

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    I'll get a pic on sooner or later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: