Do geese vanish when they're breeding?--update--found them!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by desertdarlene, Jan 30, 2011.

1. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Hi all! Most of you will remember that I talk about two feral geese (possibly embden and/or pomeranian) that have separated themselves from the main group and are living across the lake by themselves. I suspected that they may have been a pair and were going to breed. Well, now, they've totally disappeared, poof! I looked everywhere for them and didn't find them. They can't fly and there's no evidence of "fowl" play, either. I also checked the main flock and they weren't there, either.

I'm wondering if the humane society picked them up because they were chasing everything and everyone all the time.

Does the gander help brood the eggs or does he mostly stand guard? If they were nesting in some reeds or bushes, could I pass by them without ever knowing they're there?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:The goose usually picks a nest spot where they are out of sight (Preditors including humans) It would be pretty dumb for the gander to stand guard like he was guarding the Queen, more like the Secret Service mostly out of sight but close enough to react to a threat. (I had a pair of domestics that went missing for a month. Nest was under a Rose bush that I walked right by at least twice a day and I had no idea it was there!

3. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I'm hoping that's what is going on. We have some heavy brush and weeds that I've seen them hanging out near. But, I walked around everywhere and I did not see or hear them anywhere. I'm sure they're both together as they always are. It's entirely possible that they were picked up by someone because they were either a nuisance or in danger of getting hurt by people.

How long does it take for goose eggs to hatch and them to bring their babies out? Is it the same as ducks?

4. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Ducks are supposed yo be 28 days, geese about 30. often there will be a late hatcher in geese. The parents know the egg is alive and usually will wait a day to bring out the young. They are so family centered that one parent brings out the family to eat and drink while the other trys to hatch the egg. if food and water are easy to find they all get hurried back to the nest.

5. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    That's pretty cool. I will keep an eye out for them. Mostly, I just hope that nothing bad happened and they are either breeding or they were taken in and given a good home.

6. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I think I saw what I presumed to be the goose back with the main flock, alone. I will double check and if she is, it's possible that the one that I think is the gander may have been killed by coyotes (they were last seen in an area with a lot of coyotes). I will check today if I can and update later.

7. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I found them! They're hanging around this one area where people don't generally go.

So, now, five other geese have gone over to that side of the lake, too. I came and checked on them because someone said they were being really vicious. However, they were perfectly fine when I got there (one gander hissed at me as I walked by, which is unusual for him, but I wouldn't consider that vicious). They implemented a no-feeding policy at that lake and I think they went over there to eat the grass. I hope they don't turn mean while they're over there like the other two did.

8. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    That "hissing" at you is a warning. It means either their breeding or they're going to start breeding. That's exactly what my ganders do to me. LOL

Two of them came hissing at me today when I entered the pens to feed. Heads down low, wings slightly extended, mouths slightly open, hissing.

LOL I said, "Trouble, Cotton, knock it off or no treats for either of you." Then my husband came behind me with a bag of kale. They chased after him. [​IMG]

Laurie

9. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I've been hissed at if I approach (or tried to pet) one that did not want to be approached. This gander that hissed at me today had his head up and he did not look like he was going to attack.

Now, the two that went missing, they do act like they're going to attack you (unless you start feeding some of the ducks nearby, then they're very nice to you) when they hiss. I'm still not sure if they're a pair or two ganders, yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by