Do Geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by luvchicks8, Jun 30, 2010.

1. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Sing an egg song like chickens? I picked up a white embden and she has not layed an egg yet she is over a year old and was laying at least every other day and it has been 3 days now. I am new to geese with her I have 2 Tulouse males.

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Not that I know of, she's probably done laying for the year. It's kind of late for geese [​IMG]

3. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    When does the season end normally? This is my first goose.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It depends on the breed, but usually they are done by early summer.

5. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    No they don't. They don't want anyone to know about the egg, and will bury it so you can't find it [​IMG]

They DO talk to their babies when they are pipping though [​IMG]

She'll probably start laying in March through May or so, depending on your climate. I'm pretty sure Emdens lay quite a few eggs, maybe 30 or 40 or so (???) in a season, and may lay more if you keep stealing them. They go broody in April or May and will sit on what they have left.

6. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Thanks for the info I am quikly falling in love with them and finding them quite smart i call them and and tell them time to get in now and they go. I wish they would train the chickens to do that.

7. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:As well as the season being late, If you just movered her that will disrupt a laying cycle , I'll bet she is done for this year. they usually lay every other day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by