Do girls crow?????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PeepsAreForMe, Jun 5, 2012.

1. PeepsAreForMe

PeepsAreForMe Songster

Apr 10, 2012
    Pemberton Borough, NJ
    If not, then I have a boy on my hands!! Someone who grew up with chickens told me that it is rare but it sometimes happens. My husband and I both heard my bantam crow, and we looked at each other and at the same time said "Did you hear that??!!" I named her Cinderella. I have noticed lately that she is a little aggressive with the others, kind of challenging them and chest bumping. She is 9 weeks old.

Has anyone heard of girls crowing?

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Songster

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Yes, hens can crow. It is rare and I have never had it happen. I have had a hen who had spurs and she would spur chickens she didn't like. She also was one of the more dominate hens. By the way would you mind taking a picture of the "pullet" with the other birds so I may compare.

3. PeepsAreForMe

PeepsAreForMe Songster

Apr 10, 2012
    Pemberton Borough, NJ
    Here is a picture of them from two weeks ago. I'll take some more tonight, as they change daily!! I have 3 GSL's, Belle, Ariel and Goldilocks, and two bantams, Cinderella is the brown/black one. and Snow White is the white/black. (she was all white as a baby). Cinderella's tail feathers are much longer than Snow White's. I'll get better comparable photos tonight and post tomorrow. Thanks for replying!

[​IMG]

Here she is at 3 weeks - even then she was sticking her tail feathers up!!!
    [​IMG]

4. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Songster

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Make sure to get a good picture of the "pullets" head.

5. PeepsAreForMe

PeepsAreForMe Songster

Apr 10, 2012
    Pemberton Borough, NJ
    Ahh, ok! It will be a challenge, since they go the other way when I come into their area! But that is a step up from running away and screaming!! I have picked them up since I got them at a week old, and still none of them come to me. I am going to give them some new treats tonight so maybe that will change things . . .

6. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Songster

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Have you tried bread as a treat? I give that to my chickens and they love it! Although the very first time a chicken gets it they won't be to thrilled about it. Then after that they can't get enough.

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Crowing

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    At 9 weeks, I highly doubt it. You have a boy on your hands.

8. PeepsAreForMe

PeepsAreForMe Songster

Apr 10, 2012
    Pemberton Borough, NJ
    I thought I read somewhere that bread is not good for them. But I have heard people say they feed them bread. I have not tried it but I will. I saw a Happy Hen treat that sounded so good I would eat it!! It was sunflower seeds and raisins and some other stuff.

9. cary 1973

cary 1973 Songster

are you sure it was not the black and white one not crowing from the pic that bird has a red comb compared to the rest

10. PeepsAreForMe

PeepsAreForMe Songster

Apr 10, 2012
    Pemberton Borough, NJ
    Well, when we both looked over at the coop, Cinderella was sitting on top of the run. We didn't see who it was, just assumed it was her. I'll get good pics tonight when I go home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: