Do goats bother neighbors????

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by my silkie is a new mum, Feb 8, 2009.

1. my silkie is a new mum

my silkie is a new mum Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2008
    We are already pushing our luck with chickens, because technically we aren't supposed to have them. But honestly, we weren't going to listen to that. And our neighborhood LOVES them. But would we be really pushing our luck with 2 nubian doe goats or would they be ok. We live on almost 3 acres.

2. SheriM

SheriM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Quote:I wouldn't even attempt it if your local ordinances prohibit livestock. It would be terrible to get the goats and become attached to them, and then be forced to give them up because of the by-laws. However, if your by-laws do allow them, that's another story. Nubians can be very vocal and that might be a problem if your neighbors are close. I have Boer and Nubians and have noticed the Nubians like to, uh, "encourage" me to bring them their breakfast. LOL. But some of the Boer are pretty noisy at mealtime too.

3. MissCluck

MissCluck Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree... unfortunately local ordinances can be a bother if only one neighbor complains or even mentions that you have goats.

No one would know I had goats here if I didn't have my girl Narcissa, who broadcasts her "in season" time very loudly. I live in a little valley and neighbors 1/2 mile away have asked about my goats!

All the neighbors here really like my goatie pets and come over to visit now and again.[​IMG]

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I agree that if your ordinances disallow it, not to chance it with goats, you can't hide them as easily as chickens after all. If you are allowed to have them, LaManchas are a fairly quiet breed. We have our goats in our backyard in the middle of a city, but they don't bother people very much. We have had one neighbor complain about them, but they weren't complaning about the noise, just that we had them on our property.

5. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    One thing you might consider is that if you do get goats, and someone does complain, you may also be forced to get rid of your chickens if animal control become involved.

6. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    wow. three acres and you have no rights. gee. sometimes, excuse me for saying, there is a good reason to live in poor, non snooty area. lol. i have friends who live in more expensive areas and would love to have chickens, rabbit meat, etc. i've been thinking of a way where they could chip in for my expenses and we could all be happy.

7. my silkie is a new mum

my silkie is a new mum Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2008
    the funny thing is that we ARE alowed to have HORSES!! And no goats, or chickens. The rule is no split hooved animals, but horses make more noise, destroy the land, and eat alot. I just don't get it. 8(

8. Catfishingpokey

Catfishingpokey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Albany, Tx
    saanens are quiet and well behaved.our nubian/alpine bawls about every thing.but i cant live without my animals so i wont live anywhere that i cant have them.

9. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    We have an Alpine and two Boer crosses. They are very vocal. I love em to death but they are not a good quiet pet! The Alpine is the most determined to get you to come up and pet her but the Boer crosses have louder voices. The Alpine basically never shuts up. She's a love bug! Also goats create a large amount of what we call "goat eggs." They are poo'ing critters!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by