do golden lakenvelders have blue ears?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ladywolfe, Sep 22, 2008.

1. ladywolfe

ladywolfe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Georgia
    I have been looking for gold lakenvelders and found some at a auction and need to know if they have blue ears like silkies or not if not then does anybody sell gold lakenvelders eggs or chicks from good stock? will try to get pics up tomorrow.

Thanks ladywolfe

2. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    I believe the earlobes should be white. But you could check the pictures at Feathersite.

3. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine do not have blue ears.

4. pkeeler

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    In fact, I think all chickens have red or white earlobes, only Silkies have blue.

5. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    mine do not have blue ears. They came from a white egg so am assuming as they mature they will turn white.

6. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    The standard for lakenvelders says white earlobes. I have found that alot of white earlobed females hatch with blue in them. From what Jean Robocker said about the blue in earlobes of the dutch bantams is that when you mate a female with blue in the lobes to a male with some red in his white it will produce good white earlobed chicks. To me it makes it seem like its 'pure' white. We had some light brown phoenix with blue lobes and when mated to a red earlobed cock most of the chicks hatched with white lobes.

7. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    My silver-spangled hamburgs all have a pretty, light-blue earlobe. Not dark, like a silkie, but definitely not quite white either.

8. pkeeler

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    My silver-spangled hamburgs all have a pretty, light-blue earlobe. Not dark, like a silkie, but definitely not quite white either

Maybe Ladywolfe has golden penciled hamburgs instead of golden lakenvelders. Time will tell. Pics would help [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by