Do grown chickens need grit if they are mostly eating crumble layer feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Scooter&Suzie, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    My five pullets (about 7 months old) eat mostly crumbles, but I sometimes give them table scraps. Sometimes when I am outside I will allow them outside of their run to eat bugs, grass, etc. Do they need grit for that stuff? With just crumbles I wouldn't think so, but do the few bugs, grass, and table scraps make them need grit? I'll be heading over to TSC (Tractor Supply Co.) Within the next hour or so, and need to know if I need to buy any.

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    If they are out foraging, eating all that stuff, yes they do!

If they were confined, getting nothing BUT layer feed, no.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If all they are eating is mash, crumbles, or pellets, no they do not need grit. The crumbles and pellets has been ground down and then reformed using water and dried. It will come apart in their gizzards, even sithout grit.

For that other stuff, they need grit. If you let them into a dirt-filled run and occasionally out on grass, they are almost certainly getting their own grit. Grit is pretty inexpensive and it won't hurt to offer some on the side, but it sounds like it is probably not necessary in your case.

4. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    Why not buy it for them anyway and let them make the decision as it is relatively cheap[​IMG] they need it more for seeds, corn etc but they will still pick at it, my girls free range but I still provide them with grit, they seek it out much more when I have given them seeds to eat as they don't seem to find enough in the garden which I find odd as it's full of stones and bits! also the girls will appreciate the crushed shells in mixed grit when they come into lay.

5. Scooter&Suzie

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Okay, I'll get it just to be on the safe side. No point in loosing my chickens because of one careless mistake. Thanks for the help!

6. Scooter&Suzie

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Okay, I got some for them! I threw a handful in the coop and they had a fun time scratching around trying to get all the little stones!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by