Do guinea fowl and chickens go together?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Catykin, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Catykin

Catykin New Egg

Jul 21, 2009
    I have two chickens, thinking about getting more, but do you know if guinea fowl can be housed with chickens?

(I think they are beautiful.)
    Do they have any different special needs to chooks (chickens) or are they similar enough?

I only have hens. Thanks.

2. hikerchick

hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    I keep mine together. They get along just fine - they roost together.

3. ixnay

ixnay Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2008
    Bridgton, Maine
    My guinea fowl were about 8 weeks old when i got them, and they were raised by a hen. They seem to think they are chickens. My chickens, however, are a bit skeptical. Not mean, just not entirely convinced. The first night that the guineas went to roost in with the chickens, there was much consternation. Now (a week later) everything is fine. The guineas have learned that there may be treats when I go out in the yard, and that the Barred Rock is NOT "one of them" (you should have seen her horror at being pursued by 5 guineas!).

Shorter answer: yes, chickens and guineas go together just fine, at least in my brief experience.

4. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Ours don't really run together, but they weren't raised together either. The guineas were mean to the young chickens who came after them, but it was never to the point of blood or feather-pulling. The hens who were before the guineas maintained their dominance with no problem.

At this point we have two chickens who roost peacefully in the guinea coop, but no vice versa.

Some guineas (and chickens) are just jerks, so do keep an eye on them.

Have fun!

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    My guineas do all right with birds that have been here a while, but any new birds (or my dad's RIR, when let out to free range) get bullied quite a bit. But the guineas just kind of run them off, they don't really hurt them.

6. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I have one guinea hen. She thinks she is a chicken. She came from a place where there were lots of other guineas and lots of chickens. She always hung with the chickens, ate and slept with them too. She is my EE roos hen now LOL He tries to mate her.

7. Catykin

Catykin New Egg

Jul 21, 2009
    Thanks for the input guys!

8. hikerchick

hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    BTW we have 17 guineas and we are sort of thinking that is just not enough.

9. Pit Bull Farm

Pit Bull Farm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2009
    I have 9 guineas and 11 chicken and they all get along well. They were not raised together but get along just fine [​IMG]

10. keatonskeets

keatonskeets Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I have 9 barred rocks and 10 guineas (both still young).
    I think it would depend on:

1. chicken breed.............(a barred rock wouldn't hurt a fly, a RIR might)
    2. size
    3. chicken to guinea ratio......(GUINEAS ARE STRONGER IN NUMBERS!)
    4. Give them room to separate

My guineas are dominant over the chickens. But might not be the same story if you put 1 keet in a flock of aggressive chickens. And vise versa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by