do guineas eat slugs as well as bugs?? please advise me before buying

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by hollybird, Jun 26, 2008.

1. hollybird

hollybird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    lebanon
    i've had ducks that were nice slug eaters but then i got muscovies and the ate the garden not he slugs and bugs. would like to go back to animals helping me garden. my chickens are nice but don't eat slugs. do you have, know if guineas will eat slugs? or which breed of duck was it that was gentle on the garden? i remember the ducks as light brown, and not tall and skinny like a runner. thanks.

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    There are geese called "weeder geese" look into those, not sure if they'll eat slugs, but supposedly they will only eat weeds and not all your plants.

3. hollybird

Jun 12, 2008
    lebanon
    i've had geese too and yes they do like grass but not slugs. thanks though.

4. MTtroutwithwings

MTtroutwithwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    Hi hollybird,
    I've dubbed Guineas as Bugaholics! [​IMG] I've seen them eat every kind of bug that crosses their path and weeds too but they never messed with my gardens. They take out bugs rodents, even snakes! [​IMG]

Lori

P.S. There is a book called "Gardening with Guineas" you can find it on Amazon.com too.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  5. hollybird

Jun 12, 2008
    lebanon
    thanks, i have heard good things about guineas but some bad too. i don't want to get something and then try to find it a good home later. we have lots of old things. we had a 16 yr old sheep and a 13 yr old rabbit. but i understand you can eat guineas or their eggs.

6. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I have guineas and muscovies and they eat every bug they see, I think. I used to lose my hostas to slugs but not any more so one of the two are eating them. They also pick at the weeds and weed seeds and leave my flowers alone...............chickens have emptied my half barrel and large wooden basket of flowers. [​IMG] They seem to think I put those items there for them to dust bathe in [​IMG] Guineas and ducks do not bother my plants at all.

7. hollybird

Jun 12, 2008
    lebanon
    thats good to hear. i read an article on gardening with guineas and they said that they will scratch but to get at bugs. i want to be organic but the 100 acres of row crop beans and corn across the street is a bug magnet. i have lots of fencing so i can protect the small things. muscovies will jump up to get to things if they are motivated. they will talk and hiss to beg for treats. ours developed a taste for corn silk and then started pulling the ears down off the stalks.

8. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Guineas do not eat slugs AFAIK. Only bugs.

Ducks eat slugs, bugs and snails.

9. hollybird

Jun 12, 2008
    lebanon
    do you have an idea what breed of duck that we had when i was young?? it was medium sized light brown and had nice eggs but was not skinny like a runner. it was nice in the garden and ate slugs. maybe a buff?? how about appleyards?? i hear they are nice.

10. eggcochin_freak5

eggcochin_freak5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Georgia
    guineas will eat just about anything......they are crazy lookin but they're good with pest control

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by