Do guineas need a coop?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by gobbles!, Jan 19, 2008.

1. gobbles!

gobbles! Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2007
    I keep reading that guineas prefer to spend their nights up roosting in the trees--does this mean I wouldn't need a coop for them at all?

2. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    if you want guineas, i would suggest a coop. I had one that insisted on roostg in the trees, now i have on less guinea.

3. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Some say they dont but mine were raised with the chickens and they roost with the chickens each night and this keeps down the predators. Hawks and owls roost in trees and will get them there. I personally would try to put them up at night if you want to keep them.

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I think they will roost in trees or rafters given half the chance, and it would be their preference to do so. I guess it's just a matter of how much land you have and how upset you would be if you were to lose one.

I live in coyote territory. I always raise more birds than I really need or want, because losses are inevitable. I can live with it.

5. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  6. gobbles!

Dec 30, 2007
    Thanks for the advice guys! I can stomach losing some, that happens anyway with my free-range chickens, whom I DO shut in their coop at night. (I live in coyote-, fox- and other animal-territory.)

Another question occurred to me. I live in southern New England now, and the winters are pretty harsh (at least by my Maryland standards). Would guineas do all right without a coop in this weather?

7. Roux

Roux Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm in NH & have been cooping mine both at night & in extreme weather. Lost a few to predators (hawks & coyotes) before the PM lockup ([​IMG]), so keep in mind that if you leave them out long enough, they'll probably be eaten by something sooner or later.

They seem to appreciate going in when it's especially windy & yucky out. Mine were out for a while today & when the high winds really kicked up in the late afternoon, they booked it back to the coop.

Just my $.02...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  8. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  9. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    We had some that roosted in the chicken shed and some that prefered the trees. It really depends on the guinea, some like it outside and others dont.

10. gobbles!

Dec 30, 2007
    My yard is just covered in trees, so it'd be pretty cool if guineas could just roost in those, cuz it'd mean I wouldn't have to expand my coop. [​IMG] I'm thinking I'll give guineas a shot. I'm curious to see how well they could protect my free-range chickens, which are always falling prey to coyotes, foxes, etc. My area is overrun with deer tick as well, so it'd be great if they could do something about that! Lyme disease...ewwww!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by