1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do Guineas repel snakes?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by TheMartianChick, Jan 23, 2008.

1. TheMartianChick

TheMartianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I was visiting the Ideal website this evening and was surprised to read that guineas keep snakes away. We had them when I was a kid, but I don't recall ever seeing them interact in any way with the various snakes that we would ocassionally see in the yard. Our guineas were not free range, but I never saw a snake in the pen with them.

I am curious to know the experiences of others...

2. Dogginfox

Dogginfox Chillin' With My Peeps

Come to think of it I have not seen a snake on our property in the area that the guineas frequent. Its not scientific proof but it does get me thinking that there might be something to this.

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Guineas and chickens will rip apart smaller snakes. It's sick
    but fun to watch.

4. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    I saw some guineas on our farm eat snakes...once they had a pretty long one....plus they are wonderful watchdogs. You are rarely surprised with unexpected visitors![​IMG]

5. TheMartianChick

I am familiar with their watchdog capabilities. Ours used to raise the roof whenever anything was near our property and keep it up until whatever it was went away. I hadn't heard of the snake-killing/repelling. I have never been fond of snakes... I wish them no harm, but I do wish them away from me! I had planned to get some to use as "security alarms", but I will definitely get some to keep away the snakes!

6. aee96

aee96 New Egg

Mar 13, 2007
    In my experience, they are not snake repellant. I have 15 guineas and I find snakes in my yard all the time (little and small (<1' to 6', venonous and non-venomous). I find snakes in my coop all the time in the summer (anywhere from 2.5' - 6' long). They flat out ignore the big snakes. I found one in the coop one afternoon with a belly full of eggs that was being ignored by guineas, chickens and turkeys. They weren't even yelling at it.

I've run over a small one a time or two with the lawnmower and I will then see guineas and chickens running around the yard with a chunk of snake (very funny sight).

Maybe my guineas are broken??

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I know that guineas will eat small snakes, so will chickens. I attribute my lack of seeing snakes to my goats. Where there are goats there usually aren't snakes.

My greatest fear is seeing a snake in my hen house eating eggs.

That just makes me shiver and want to scream like a girl. LOL

8. TheMartianChick

Any thoughts as to which varieties might be better for repelling snakes? Ours were pearls... Has anyone noticed a difference in the birds behavior... pearl vs. white vs lavender vs. purple?

As far as the broken guineas are concerned...Maybe they just think that they are CHICKENS! [​IMG]

9. aee96

aee96 New Egg

Mar 13, 2007
    I have pearls, slates, royal purples and whites (and Pieds of each). They all act the same -- goofy. [​IMG]

I did have a turkey hen that when she was broody she would take on any snake (2' or 6'). She'd chase them out of the coop and run. Unfortunately, I lost her to an injury.

10. GUIENALADY

GUIENALADY Rest in Peace 1956-2010

May 1, 2007
    Belvidere nc
    i see fewer snakes when my guineas roam on the property. while we had none we had lots of snakes. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by