Do guineas still lay eggs while brooding?

sawilliams

Songster
Nov 12, 2015
Nor Cal
I know out sounds dumb and i would assume the answer is no. But that leaves me even more confused. Becuase i have 1 guinea trying to still my eggs from one of my chickens, I already had to seperate 2 chickens becuase of nest stealing. But I'm still getting 2 different guinea eggs and I thought the third was a male. No i haven't seen them mate but it appears that 2 of the 3 have paired off. Can I check guinea egg fertility the same as chickens? By cracking the egg? Cuase seriously 2 sing (squawk) and 1 chitters... I'm just worried cuase the hen she's trying to steal from is the more mellow broody that will find another nest. But i don't want to switch her and the other broody right now as the other is further along sitting on her eggs.

I know out sounds dumb and i would assume the answer is no. But that leaves me even more confused. Because i have 1 guinea trying to still my eggs from one of my chickens, I already had to separate 2 chickens because of nest stealing. But I'm still getting 2 different guinea eggs and I thought the third was a male. No i haven't seen them mate but it appears that 2 of the 3 have paired off. Can I check guinea egg fertility the same as chickens? By cracking the egg? Cause seriously 2 sing (squawk) and 1 chitters... I'm just worried cause the hen she's trying to steal from is the more mellow broody that will find another nest. But i don't want to switch her and the other broody right now as the other is further along sitting on her eggs.
If you are getting two different guinea eggs, you have two different guinea hens laying. In a group of three it is common for the male to pair up with one of the hens but still breed both hens.

It is very common for guinea hens to have a communal nest where all hens lay. Two days ago, I got four eggs from one nest. Four different guinea hens laid their egg in the same nest. It is also common for other guinea hens to continue laying in the same nest that another guinea hen has chosen to go broody on.

Very few people actually see their guineas mate. It is kind of a hit and run thing that happens very quickly. Guinea eggs can be checked for fertility just like any other egg can be checked. A bullseye = fertile and no bullseye = not fertile.

Back
Top Bottom