Do happy hens lay more eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CKC Coop, Nov 22, 2014.

1. CKC Coop

CKC Coop Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2014
    Is it just a coincidence that the times we get the fewest eggs have come after the hens have either not been let out to free range or when our roosters were switching their pecking order? There were about 3 or 4 days egg production dropped from 17 to 12 and it just so happened that the rooster pecking order was changing. Then, this week the day after we did not let everyone out to free range, we were down to 10 eggs. Granted since the weather has gotten colder we have averaged 15 instead of 17, but these were noticeable drops. This was the second time the hens had not free ranged and production was down. I think they were mad! Anyone else had this happen?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Changes in flock dynamics (ie the rooster pecking order changes) can cause stress and disruption in the entire flock and, yes, that can have an impact on production. How many roosters is it you are keeping?

3. CKC Coop

CKC Coop Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2014
    We have 20 hens and 2 roosters. We added the 2nd rooster at about 5 months...same age as our others. At first I was afraid our original rooster would kill him, (that's when the hens slowed up on their eggs ) but things worked out in a couple weeks and things were peaceable for about a month. Then, the new guy decided he wanted to rule the roost and things changed. The new guy is actually a better flock leader. Our original rooster is sort of a bully. He threatens everything now except the new rooster who will never fail to put him in his place for it! Lol. We also have 22 pullets so maybe our old Red can take charge of them. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by