Do hatcheries make mistakes?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by polishchickens111, Sep 18, 2011.

1. polishchickens111

polishchickens111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Over there
    I think I have a Jersey Giant.

My Australorp, Fig, has always bee HUGE compared to the rest. Since day one. And she still is. EVERYONE says that she is huge. My best friend's little sister is afraid on "the really big black chicken. [​IMG] [​IMG] ."

I don't care, I love her all the same... but it makes me wonder.

2. chickenpredatorkiller

chickenpredatorkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    South Carolina
    yes, they do, but could you post a pic?

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Hatchery Jersey Giants aren't hardly much bigger than the rest of their chickens, honestly. [​IMG] Hatcheries don't really make many "mistakes" when you consider that they don't mean to breed for anything but high production and a bird that looks relatively similar to what it is supposed to be. . . .

If you think it is a Jersey Giant though, check the soles of the feet. Yellow - Jersey Giant. White/Pink = Australorp.

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I've actually seen quite a few people on here that have found out they've ended up with JG instead of BA from the hatcheries. I've often wondered if it's intentional. It seems like it shouldn't be that easy to make that "mistake." But I agree, check the bottoms of her feet.

5. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    She could of been a packing peanut if they had extra JGs that day.

6. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    we went to a hatchery to get 3 Silver Sebrights and ended up with 2 SS and 1 Silver OEGB..... I like that mistake!

7. Gresh

Gresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    HA! Hatcheries sure do make mistakes! [​IMG] I've found out the hard way myself that if they don't send you the right breed, they'll send you a mutt. Anywho, though, at least they sent you something that actually got big.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2011
  8. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    I sold some Spitz this summer to a woman who ordered Appenzeller Spitzhauben, but was sent silver Hamburgs instead. I guess they figured Hamburgs were close enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by